I was born and raised in Cedar Hill and it's always exciting to see how the town is developing and growing. I was delighted to meet Gina years ago while strolling through the historic downtown area of Cedar Hill. Check out her store and catch a glimpse of the bank that Bonnie and Clyde's sidekick robbed back in 1932. Head to Babe's Chicken across the street for some good ol' Texas eats and then walk it off at Joe Pool Lake- Cedar Hill State Park! It's a perfect way to spend a Saturday.
On the show we shared with you quite a few brands in just a few minutes. Here's a list along with links to their web sites. Don't forget that Good Morning Texas viewers get 20% off today through Sunday night (October 15-18) by using the code GMTX20 (Show said GMTTX20, but code only has one "T"= GMTX20 !)
I've worked with many of these groups, and others I know first hand, that are making an incredible difference in the lives of those creating their products. In supporting these companies you can rest knowing your dollars are making a positive difference in the world. (Above Photo By Esther Havens for Raven + Lily, Ethiopia)
1) Sseko- Best known for empowering women in Uganda through their shoe program, now they are branching into Ethiopia offering jewelry and hand bags. Based out of Portland, OR
2) 7 Stitches- Hand made in San Diego, CA using beads and findings made by artisans all over the world.
3) Tonlé- Made by artisans in Cambodia. This brand is responsible from start to finish by using every scrap made from their clothing line to be woven into fabrics and pieced into jewelry. You've got to see their creative video that shows exactly what it means to be "Zero Waste". Based out of San Francisco, CA
4) Aid Through Trade- (Available at HSO) Their journey began in 1993 in Nepal. They are an original founding member of the Fair Trade Federation and also the original developers of their classic "Roll-On®" Bracelet. A great gift for bridesmaids, stocking stuffers, or sports teams! Based out of Annapolis, MD (NOTE: For Amazon orders use code GMTX20RO)
7) Fait La Force- Inspired by the Haitian flag "L'Union Fait La Force" or "Strength In Unity" Employs artisans using traditional techniques and natural materials to provide jobs, skills and access to markets by bringing modern design to indigenous craft. Based out of NYC
8) SOKO- Creates stunning hand crafted jewelry and technological innovation to support it's artisans in Kenya. It is the first to develop a mobile phone driven business model that connects artisans directly to consumers.
Also here is a link for more information about the Fair Trade Federation.